Thursday, February 6, 2014


Below Stairs- Margaret Powell
The book cover says it all…. it’s just like “Downton Abbey” and “Upstairs, Downstairs,”  only it’s a true story. It is  told from the perspective of a kitchen maid who later becomes a cook.  It was interesting. 
Book 3 of 2014











Beyond the Wall of Sleep- H.P. Lovecraft

I’m reading the complete works but instead of reviewing the entire book when I’m finished, I’ve decided to review the individual stories. 
H.P. Lovecraft is not the best writer, but his ideas and imaginations are brilliant. Especially if you consider the time in which they were written.

I loved this story. I highlighted quite a bit of it on my Kindle. I loved the imagery, and the idea that we are more than just mortal bodies of flesh and bone.   I think the idea of flying through time and space appeals to most people.

Though I like Lovecraft, I must note that I hate his seeming obsession with “degenerate hill dwellers,”“Esquimau diabolists,”“white trash,”“mongrel Louisianans,” etc .  Tsk, tsk, H.P.  You’d never get away with that these days.
You can read “Beyond the Wall of Sleep” online here.

No comments: