Sunday, September 30, 2007

Out of the Dust- Karen Hesse


The diversity of Newbery award winners never ceases to amaze me.
Each one takes you to another place and time.

Out of the Dust won the Newbery award in 1998.
I had never heard of it before I saw it in the library last week.
At first glance it appears to be a book of poetry, but it is not.
It is also written in diary form, which makes it more interesting in my opinion.

It is the story of a family living in the Dust Bowl of Oklahoma.

Granted, it is a bit depressing at times, but the writing is simple, beautiful, and poetic.

The story is full of tragedy, and some Amazon reviewers complained that it is very depressing and it doesn't have a happy ending.
Although the ending is not conclusive, it gives a ray of hope and gives you the sense that things are making a turn for the better.

Perhaps my favorite quote is this one:
"And I know now that all the time I was trying to get
out of the dust,
the fact is,
what I am,
I am because of the dust.
And what I am is good enough.
Even for me."


All in all, I liked this book and it is unlikely one I'll forget soon.
It has that haunting quality that certain books have.
They stick with you forever once you've read them.

To read more reviews of this book, click on the photo.

No comments: