Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg


128 pages

"A mysterious stranger is treated badly by the town of Hadleyburg-the town that proclaims itself "the most honest and upright town in the region." Through an ingenious sting operation, the stranger sets out to expose Hadleyburg's leading citizens and reveal their greedy, deceitful natures."

I really liked this book!

Mark Twain is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.

I remember my dad introducing me to Tom Sawyer when I was about 12. I enjoyed it, but wasn't particularly blown away by it.

In high school, we had to read Huck Finn.
I hated it.
I think I mostly hated it because I *had* to read it.
I was like that back then.
I automatically didn't like anything I was made to read.
Teenagers- go figure! lol

So that was my experience with Mark Twain.

Enter the Kindle and it's wonderful free-book goodness. :-)

Through Kindle, I have discovered lots of classics that I had never heard of, and re-discovered ones I didn't really give a chance the first time around.

This is the second Twain I've read this year and I plan on reading more.
I may even give Huck Finn another chance. ;-)

My favorite quotes from the book:
"Training in honesty-- honesty shielded from the very cradle, against every possible temptation.... is artificial honest, and weak as water when temptation comes."

"Why, you simple creatures, the weakest of all weak things is a virtue which has not been tested in the fire."


2010 total: 17

No comments: