Monday, January 25, 2010

"Murder Takes the Cake" and "Three Blind Mice"


Murder Takes the Cake- Gayle Trent
260 pages



"Cozy murder mystery. When the meanest gossip in Brea Ridge dies mysteriously, suspicions turn to cake decorator Daphne Martin. But all Daphne did was deliver a spice cake with cream cheese frosting--and find Yodel's body. Now Daphne's got to help solve the murder and clear her good name. Problem is, her Virginia hometown is brimming with people who had good reason to kill Yodel, and Daphne's whole family is among them."

This book was free through the Kindle app a few weeks ago. I snatched it up fast! Kindle books are "free today, not tomorrow." lol

I really enjoyed this book.
It kept me interested, and I read it rather quickly.
The characters were believable and likeable (except for Daphne's mother. I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe more will be revealed in future installments).
I admit, I skipped over some of parts that went into detail about cake making.
If you're a cake decorator, or interested in learning, you would love this book.




Three Blind Mice- Agatha Christie

275 pages


This book is a collection of short stories starring Poirot and Miss Marple.

In addition, it includes the story "Three Blind Mice" upon which Christie's play "The Mousetrap" is based.

"Three Blind Mice" is by far the best short story in the collection. It is of the same caliber as her better novels, in my humble opinion.


Currently reading: O Pioneers! - Willa Cather
2010 total: 3 (really? Only 3? I need to step it up a bit.)

No comments: